Thursday, September 6, 2012

Fluke Writer For Hire on oDesk

Fluke Writer For Hire on oDesk


I never thought of myself as a writer but that is what came next on the list of jobs I had on oDesk that I was lucky enough to stumble upon. I was asked to write one article while I was doing a customer support role and their client was apparently happy with the result. I made several writing samples after that and presented them along with my applications for writing jobs. Many got denied for various reasons but I persevered. I was fortunate enough to land some at an hourly rate of $5 and some slightly less. 

The first ones I was hired for were in the industrial sector and material was provided as data sources. Some time later, articles on social media and branding were commissioned. Research had to be made on the social media and branding articles in order to fulfill the client’s wishes. Ghostwriting for a number of clients a media outfit had was next on the list. I had to write a certain way based on the profiles written up by the media company. Fortunately, they were all men and I was able to get in their heads and produce similar content. What I wrote wasn’t perfect but the client and their clients were happy with the work done. 

Things were going well so far and the clients I had were satisfied but as they say, “you can’t please them all.” To this day, this is the only client I have ever had that was unhappy about the results I produced during the trial phase. I was surprised by his reaction but I am OK with it, the expectations he had were far more than I could deliver. I never make any guarantees that the writing job outputs will be as they expect. I only guarantee that I will do my best to try and meet or exceed their expectations. If they are not satisfied that is what trial periods are for, to test the waters. Some of these trial periods were free but for most of them, like this one (the unsatisfied client), they were paid trials. 

You win some and you lose some but working hard not to lose is my modest goal. I do not attempt to blow them away and astound them with the results. I know what I am capable of and I do not present it otherwise. Although there are times when the client is very pleased with the results I thought were only passable. Flukes like that do put a smile on my face and keep me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Veetle